Disability Access – Living Elements
Living Elements is suitable for partially disabled and some wheelchair dependent clients, but not for those who require the use of a hoist for transfers or have limited use or power in their legs or arms without assistance.
Parking on tarmac for 3+ cars in a private off-road carpark, shared with the complementary health clinic opposite.
There is direct wheelchair access into the house through a gateway via a yellow smooth paved pathway bounded by lawn for 15m to the tiled jacuzzi patio through a gate from here via a permanent shallow ramp which leads to the front door which is a standard 850mm width. There is no handrail up the ramp (12degrees) or an edge to it but there is a sharp colour contrast. There are handrails either side of the door and at the top of the ramp is a small platform. There is a bump-step into the house which could not be made lower sadly due to other levels.
The other access doors have hand rails / grips by the doors and low cills but at least one step.
There is a disabled-use toilet with access bars on the ground floor just inside the front door (M-Doc) and a walk-in shower with a moveable shower seat (no wheels). There is an alarm feature pull cord by the toilet. The access distance for the shower is 490mm wide and there is a small lip to step over (5cm). The shower is NOT suitable for wheelchair transfers directly as some handling will be required and it is fairly narrow.
The hand basin is not accessible by wheelchair. Sorry. The bathroom also contains the sauna for 6-8 people. Tiled safety flooring.
Downlighting. Underfloor heating. The main bathroom door is sliding, and has no lock on it for extra safety for sauna users / bathroom users. There is an “occupied” notice on the door outside though.
It is NOT directly adjacent to the ground floor bedroom.
There is a further toilet and wash basin which is not wheelchair
accessible on the ground floor but is fine for those with moderate mobility and is next to the bedroom. It has plenty of things to grab hold of for balance. Radiator and towel rail. Note: low door height.
The downstairs bedroom has a moveable, low level kingsize double Sofabed (height is 385mm from floor). It is suitable for some hoists as they can fit underneath the bed and has a standard doorway (730mm) with a 35mm door-lip; although a wheelchair can just pass through. It looks out onto the jacuzzi patio garden via sliding French doors which has a high step to the patio level.
A flat screen TV can be put into this room on the wall and used with a remote controller. There is a carpet in this room. All linen is allergen-free. No hanging space except on the back of the door. Storage in large “pigeon-holes”.
Please restrict the access of dogs into this room. There is a room stat in the snug room which controls the ambient heat for all the ground floor. In the winter, when the central heating is on, therefore please leave the bedroom door open to allow air exchange during the day. (There is a separate 1st floor stat on the landing.)
All rooms downstairs are wheelchair accessible and have either short pile carpets or tiles. There is a narrow doorway with a step between the lounge and dining room (6cm step). All the windows are low level to ensure plenty of glorious daylight and views onto the garden.
There is no wheelchair access to the first floor nor a stairlift. The stairs are moderately steep but do have a hand rail and a turn part way up.
Family bathroom – There is a low height bath upstairs with overhead shower, plus a WC and hand basin. Shower mats etc are standard. Safety flooring is vinyl. Downlighters and room extractor fan.
For those who are partially sighted, the flooring, door and walls are of contrasting colours and textures throughout the house. Many of the kitchen cupboards are low level for storage etc. The lighting is very adequate throughout the house and there is extra task-specific lighting as well.
Kitchen unit worktop height is the standard 750mm. Lever taps.
The jacuzzi is not available for use if you have not got good balance and are fairly flexible as it is free-standing on the patio. Wooden steps on the outside of the jacuzzi are used for access. Note: The lid is heavy and awkward to lift off. The sauna is partially accessible for those with moderate movement problems. Note: It should not be used by those with high blood pressure problems etc. For more details ask Gayle for the Sauna / jacuzzi safety guidelines.
The large patio is accessible from the groundfloor sung bedroom (deep step) or the front door. There are paved, wide walkways all around the house for accessibility and to enjoy the large garden. No ponds. The garden is enclosed by a hedge and accessed by a choice of two gates. Wheelchair storage in the outside, lockable black shed. Also good for a boot / wet clothes store.
There are various notices about the house eg waste collection / bin details and reminders to shower before using the hot tub etc
Much more detailed information is in the House Handbook about
- local amenities with special facilities eg beach wheelchair!
- Scooterbility and local supply shops for aids
- easy access walks and other attractions
- fire alarm procedure (smoke alarms are in place but we do not have a flashing light warning facility for those who are deaf.)
- hot tub and sauna safety guidelines
- We welcome Assistance and care dogs.
- We are pet-friendly.
- We are open throughout the year
If you require large print format material or extra details in advance of your stay, please contact me. Pet T&C’s available – on the website or ask. There is a note pad and paper available in the house.
I can provide water and food bowls for dogs if necessary but not pet beds. The garden is in 2 parts – a patio garden and larger double lawned area. Note: The lawn area is not totally 100% dog-escape free!
Please clean up after your pets, thank you. Small bags are available for the necessary. There is plenty of room for a pet bed in the lounge or secondary hallway. There are lots of places for walks nearby!!
Up to 3 well-behaved dogs allowed. They are NOT allowed upstairs.
Wifi / internet connection is patchy but usually OK in the main lounge. It cannot be boosted further, hence it is free.
Mobile phone coverage on the Peninsula is very variable and patchy.
NO smoking throughout the property, thank you.
A complementary clinic operates on the other side of the driveway. You are welcome to make an appointment during your stay www.livingelements.co.uk
- Taxi hire (there are disabled access cabs at Chichester Railway Station)
- If you have any further questions regarding access or specialrequirements please call me directly. Everyone has different and specific requirements and this house was not built with this in mind. I have tried to modify it to improve access for all as best I can but it is NOT ideal and DOES NOT conform to all the standards. If in doubt – call me or simply don’t book.
Disability Access – Natures Elements
The house is next to a Natural Health Clinic with a self-contained apartment above; in a rural setting. We aim to make your stay as comfortable as possible so there are bedrooms on the ground floor in addition to an open plan dining room/kitchen and large lounge with TV. It is very suitable for clients with restricted mobility.
- Contact us by – Landline phone, fax, email or the web. Wifi availability may be available at selected times and is free of charge. There is an access code in the House Handbook.
- Alternative large print format is available and more details are available from our website which also has large print format etc.
- Public transport – British Rail Southern – from Chichester Station, 6 miles away. www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations_destinations/CCH.aspx Bus – a local hopper from The Witterings via Sidlesham to Selsey. Bus stop outside the property. Bus route from Chichester to Selsey regularly every 15 mins during the day. 8 min walk away down Keynor Lane.
- Collection of guests may be possible with advance notice from Chichester in the evening of your arrival, usually after 7pm.
- Taxis are available from the railway station
- A shopping service may be available, with notice in advance, of certain provisions. Or you can get Tesco’s, Ocado etc to deliver in advance. In your welcome pack is milk, tea and coffee, sugar, olive oil, salt & pepper etc
- Shop-mobility scheme in Chichester plus hiring services. Call Chichester District Council on 01243 788166. Also for other facilities.
- Accessible taxis from: www.chichestercabcompany.co.uk/www.stationtaxis.org.uk www.starlineminicabs.co.uk/
Arrival & Car Parking Facilities
- Ample Off-road parking in the shared car park with the clinic and
- Access to the house by a level tarmac driveway.
Main Entrance, Reception
- Low cill required to pass through to enter the house. 2 doors are available for wheelchair access.
- Large turtle mat in main entrance (Note: it will not allow the door to open if placed within the door swing).
- Vinyl flooring throughout.
- Clear lounge / diner for ease of access.
- Doors, if French doors, glass has stickers attached to denote open / closed.
- No burglar alarm, so no disturbance!
- Room for dog cage / bed as necessary
Public Areas – Sitting room, lounges, lobbies etc
- Good lighting that is adjustable in all rooms.
- TV has DVD player and Freeview.
- Contrast flooring to skirting boards – wood/.
- All doorways have full wheelchair access and are all well dimensioned.
- Disabled access WC via lounge; Includes wash basin.
- Other WC/bathroom, reasonable size with plenty of clear lighting and 15cm step access to the shower. Contrast flooring. Shower room doubles as the laundry and for extra storage space.
- A++ rated Washing machine located in shower room. Front loading.
- Tumble drier located in shower room.
- Extra large arier and retractable airer – please save electricity where you can.
- Gas BBQ on back patio.
- Frisbees and outside games / balls in shed
- Board games and some books in bookcase in lounge under TV.
- NEW!! Outside hot tub. Currently in use only during nice weather – NOT for use if you have restricted mobility or various health problems – see separate Sauna and hot tub guidelines please.
- Plenty of childrens soft toys, books and games
- Small selection of adult books
- BBQ and some fuel in shed.
- Large grassy garden, south facing
- Picnic table plus 2 extra chairs
- Bird feeding stations
- Clothes line / whirlygig and pegs
- NEW!! Outside hot tub. Currently in use only during nice weather.
Bedrooms & Sleeping Areas
- Bedrooms ALL have wheelchair access and are next door to the WC and kitchen.
- Dimmable lighting. Extra lamps.
- Level entrance.
- Hypo-allergenic bed linen etc.
Bathroom, Shower-room & WC [Shared]
- Modern power shower with material screen. 15 cm step up to shower tray. Down lighting. Handrail to side.
- Vinyl flooring & rug. Plenty of floor standing storage.
- Small Toilet and bath towel rail. worktop space.
- Wash basin and shower taps are twist/turn type for ease of use.
- Located straight on from main room.
- White kitchen units.
- Mixer lever taps over large kitchen sink and drainer.
- Plenty of work surfaces and cupboards both above and below.
- Electric hob and oven, white/black contrast. Overhead lighting
- Large fridge/freezer
- Well supplied with kitchen utensils including potato ricer, tongs etc.
- Saucepans, cookware etc are usually located under the work surface. Most crockery located above work surface but this could be altered if required.
- Downlighting and directional lighting
Grounds and Gardens
- Mainly lawns but also mature herbaceous borders and shrubs.
- Large patio with furniture.
- Teak bench that catches the morning sun and is ideal for the first cup of the day!
- Plenty of tarmac car parking
- Child cot, high chair and bed may be rented for £12 per week. Bedding for bed an additional £5.
- NO SMOKING anywhere on the property please
- Assistance Dogs welcome, others please speak to Gayle. See Pet friendly information and T&C’s please.
- Please be considerate of the clinic’s clients and their parking. There should always be ample room for everyone.
- Please keep the sound levels down when the patio doors are open. We pride ourselves on our friendliness for others and the local wildlife!
- You are welcome to book an appointment at the clinic during your stay with us – we can offer various treatments with numerous benefits – More details from www.livingelements.co.uk
Living Elements Clinic, next to the house
Telephone: Clinic: 01243 641665;
Mobile in case of emergency: 07769 746113
Clinic Hours of operation: At clinic 8am-7pm, Mon, Tues & Thurs at least! outside of that and at weekends, get me on my mobile.
- Possibly add a gazebo / shading over the hot tub on the patio.